21 July 2010

fiber inspired process





there is nothing like some new fiber for inspiration, no?

at a recent local fiber festival I acquired some hand spun natural color (undyed) angora and some natural color alpaca.

I may have also fallen in love with angora, or at the very least, in love with the skeins I purchased. Cozy Rabbit Farm produces lovely yarn, hand raised, hand spun, and if dyed, done by hand. there was a number of hand knit items for sale as well, showing some amazing potential for the angora yarns. I purchased two skeins of "blue" (a white to light-gray) light-weight angora yarn.

if you asked me my favorite color, I would probably say white, especially in semi-gloss on sunlit room walls. practically, though, its probably gray. my palette is distinctly desaturated; a subtle take on color that includes many gray pieces. gray is not just the space between black and white, but also lives in the space between color. the sport weight undyed skeins of alpaca I purchased from Frontier Fiber Mill is a fabulously thrilling dark gray named "slate".

I have a picture or two in my mind of items to knit up in the near future. in my mind, these items are complete. matching my knitting to my vision is challenging. one must strike the perfect balance of color, stitch, pattern, fiber content, weight and gauge. although the goal is the vision, its not practical to get too attached to a singular outcome. I could make myself crazy meticulously crafting the knitting to perfectly fit the vision. it is certainly worthwhile, however, to strive for the vision and to just let the outcome be. and while I am at it, learn all I can in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment