30 March 2009

week 1

















my first time to cast-on went slowly. I felt as if I did not know how to use my hands. like the skills I had embedded in my muscle memory had no meaning anymore... well, almost.

After finally getting through my first cast-on, I began to knit my first row.
so. difficult.

I started with some ordinary, teal-ish 100% cotton yarn (I have no clue about sizes of yarn yet) on 3.75mm (US 5) needles. about halfway through my first row, I was handed a pair of 8mm (US 11) with a row cast-on and told to try the 8mm needles, because they would be a bit less challenging. (i.e. -I am not quite ready for the 3.75mm just yet, at least not to knit my very first row!)

I finally got through an entire row (like 25-ish stitches) with many stops and starts.

I would knit a row. my fiancee would purl a row back.
I would knit another row. my fiancee would purl a row back...
eventually after several rows, I was told to keep knitting back and forth.
so I learned the garter stitch.

I am guessing that I logged about 4 hours this past week.
I cast-on several times, and I feel reasonably comfortable with that now.
I have only knitted 1 "first row". I need more practice with that.
my knit stitch is getting better. I can feel improvement each time I handle the needles.
I also knitted a few rows with a small set of circular needles.
purling is not in the repertoire yet.

maybe this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment