01 April 2009

boring / inspired



I prepare for a weekend trip, without much knitting practice this week. my fiancee (Janet, from here on...) plans to take me on excursion to a yarn shop or two. my interest in sock yarn continues to grow. I read more. I learn more. I want some sock yarn for whatever my first project will be. stubbornly, I will insist.


more practice is required before I start my first project. buying yarn should help inspire me to practice practice practice so I can use my new yarn on my first project. since my "detail-oriented" nature requires higher standards, my first project should be something boring. something straight-up, like stockinette stitch. something I can basically just knit back and forth until the object is complete. no extra obsessing. something like... a baby blanket (for my new niece, Zoey). a heavier weight sock yarn paired with slightly larger needles should give me several qualities I am looking for: washable, durable, nice drape and a soft hand.


I will do some research on the interweb:
the shops we are visiting, the yarn on their shelves.
I will think about dimensions for the blanket.
I will do my best not to think about colorways until I am in the shops... so I can let myself be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment