29 September 2009

stash season


Bellagio, right front complete!

autumn has arrived in Chicago with a clear-cut deliniation. a front marched in, dropped some thunderstormage and then it was jacket time. or more appropriately, sweater time.

I figured out how stashes get started, but I am committed to not growing my stash to overflow my one "stashbox". I can hear you right now saying, 'yeah, right', but I am serious. the only reason I have lingering yarn is because I had the project first and I wanted to find the yarn for the project, then I changed my mind... now, I have yarn that needs a project. the way to keep stash volume low is to commit myself to using the recently stashed yarn next... to find a project for the yarn. that is, following my next project.

today, I made a pattern purchase. another SKIF, Zena. I was toying with the idea of knitting Zena in a single strand of lux-y Malabrigo, but I am choosing to use some bamboo "tape" from Habu (A-157) as one of my two yarns, if I can. if not, I will try to find something similar (read: a flat, paper-ish, tape/ribbon yarn). the other yarn will be wool. I am going for a wool rather than a bamboo, linen or cotton mostly because I intend on making my Zena perform her sweaterly duties and keep me warm. and now, I have 6 skeins of worsted weight Malabrigo in my stash.

I am completely obsessed with the bamboo tape. its light, strong and flat. mixing the tape with a wool yarn will add complexity and texture...

Bellagio update: finished right front panel and all the transitions to the back. I am now knitting down the back and finally feeling like I am making real progress. "Noro Bellagio" is the name I gave this sweater on Ravelry, but I secretly call it my "Chaos Sweater" to wear as the world slips into chaos... and on that note, maybe I DO need a yarn stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment