21 May 2010

from the shadows


_4100002
_8260029

the stitch was simple, airy, lofty... elegant, with beautiful lights and shadows. a visual coziness amplified by gentle yarn halos filling in some of the empty space between the stitches.

absolutely perfect for a scarf.

it was not a loose gauge version of a standard stitch; this I tested early on. I dug through my stitch dictionaries, knitted more swatches, searched high and low on the internet, knitted more swatches, learned brioche... no, not that. I was relentless. all I wanted to do was figure out what this stitch could be. then finally, after feeling like I had exhausted my options, I set out on my own. I took a stitch that I thought came fairly close to what I was looking for and I tried something slightly different. something that... worked. was it the stitch? I did not know, but I absolutely loved the results. I still do.

this week was filled with plenty of experimentation, so many swatches and just as many dead ends. I ended up learning more about the construction of stitches then I had in my previous year of knitting. I became very comfortable with yarn overs and I also added additional stitches to my arsenal that I may not have otherwise learned.

now, I will find some yarn...
in a colorway to enhance the virtues of the stitch, probably something lighter in value. in a fiber that has delicate halos, but is warm and strong. in a gauge that is light enough for the stitch to shine, but heavy enough for an appropriate drape.

absolutely perfect for a scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment