30 April 2010

building in mirrors





I am finding myself awash in beautiful yarns as my palette (*ahem* stash) grows, it reflects back more and more of its owner. this is, in a sense, comforting, to see oneself in their choices. however, as my palette grows, my FOs are not growing in kind. I may have to revisit my purchase rules again in the near future.

current rules (apart from budgetary concerns) for yarn purchases are:
1. I must absolutely love the yarn!
2. I must have a plan for the yarn (even if it doesn't work out).

that parenthesised part keeps me from any regret for purchasing. if it doesn't work out, I still have yarn I love until I find a use for it. which brings me to a story about my most recent purchase.

the intended companion for the gray Habu Shosenshi Linen I bought last month did not work out. the linen was the wrong color, or rather, not quite the right color for my intentions. it was a tad too warm, more beige than gray. I knew I would eventually find a home for the newly acquired linen, but my original intent for it was no longer viable.

while in Coralville, IA, Janet and I, in accordance with our resolution to stop and visit a LYS wherever we travel to, stopped in at Crazy Girl Yarn Shop to look around, shop, sit and knit with the locals (since they promote this sort of thing! yay!) and just *be* in a knit shop. Leslie and Ness were wonderful and welcoming hosts. since I have family that live in Coralville, I am quite certain that I will visit them again.

I wandered around the store, probably looking at ALL the yarn available there. I bent down to look more closely at some lace weight yarn that was a dramatic and lustrous silvery, mid-gray, with some added warmth. the skein's luxurious hand was found to be a blend of baby alpaca and silk, a perfect paring AND a perfect pairing for my Habu Shosenshi Linen: weightless and draping bliss. I read the tag: Alpaca with a Twist. Fino. I was not familiar with this yarn until that moment. I bought 2 skeins for my "palette".

1 comment:

  1. I love Alpaca With A Twist! And Alpaca in general. Nice blog you have here, my boss told me about it, I think you may know her. Goes by the name Ashley Savoy Wilson. lol

    ReplyDelete