01 December 2009

taking the chill off





to get closer to perfection, more time must be spent in process. completion of a project marks the end of process. and then the project is evaluated. (oftentimes, against the harsh judgment of perfection)

I want to have something to show for my work. i.e. I want to finish projects. (completion)
I want the projects to be the best I can accomplish. (as perfect as possible)
striking a balance here is difficult for me since the two concepts work against each other in a constant tug-o-war in my brain.

I long for a sense of completion in the midst of Bellagio. the progress alone on Bellagio is not enough... being comfortable IN the process is one thing. being satisfied (by completion) is quite another thing, altogether.

one of the small projects I decided to take on was a scarf for my sock dog, Retro. he has been begging me for a new sweater, but I thought he should start with a scarf first, and maybe next year I will make him a sweater. using the "omitted" colors of the Noro sock yarn for the Bellagio project, I knitted him a scarf. which he loves, btw. it turns out that the Lil' Noro Scarf I knitted for Retro was not enough to satisfy my need for completion. the scarf was too easy...

so, I started a hat. a hat would help with some skills that have not received much practice and I would also be learning some new skills: knitting in the round (+leapfrog join), knitting ribbing, using double-pointed needles, following a pattern to completion, proper finishing techniques...

a hat would also be good for taking the Autumn chill off until I complete the sweater. I think Retro can whole-heartedly relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment