26 January 2010

the yarn, oxygen. the stitches, my breath.


sneauxflakes
Zena, ready to go

we recently experienced a short break in the Winter weather. we emerged from below freezing for about a week; a breath of warmer air was drawn deeply into my lungs, anticipating the dive into the second half of Winter. a Winter that will be saturated with knitting. my queue is, after all, clogging up with projects. let me tell you about a few of them:

item #2 for my future Skif collection, Zena. as stated in a previous post, she is ready to go! pattern, check. yarn & needles, check. swatch, check. but, I promised myself that I would not start knitting her until I complete Bellagio. in the meantime, there are many projects looking to unhinge her from her place in the queue.

a 1940's waistcoat (button-up sweater vest) from the Victoria and Albert Museum Knitting Collection. The pamphlet the pattern is from is called: Jaeger Hand-Knit No. 44, Essentials for the Forces. I have been looking to aquire a waistcoat for work, to keep my core warm but allow for my sleeves to be rolled up...

after the completion of my Café au Lait Scarf on size 19 (15mm) needles, I have become enamored with the idea of knitting a larger project (such as a sweater), with bulky or super-bulky yarn.

due to the lack of mens sweater patterns that appeal to me, I am taking on the challenge of designing and knitting a sweater for next Winter. in fact, I have quite a few sketches of initial designs, but I have recently hit upon a concept that I will explore in depth in the near future. I very well could be on to something.

Stephen West's Boneyard Shawl. completely taken by the idea of "shawl as scarf". Boneyard Shawl is a simply elegant pattern that features ridges and a garter-stitched border. its architectual and lets the yarn show itself off in an understated, refined way.

I can not tell you what project will be next.
I just need to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment