21 March 2010

knitiversary!





a year has passed since I began to learn the craft of knitting.
the commitment I made has been met. I have been knitting for a calendar year and blogging about it. now, I get to evaluate what I have accomplished so far and also, more importantly, how I will be proceeding from here.

in a previous blog post ("stash season" in September of 2009), I said something about how stashes beyond 1 "stashbox" were unreasonable. my process has had trouble with that assessment, as I am finding inspiration by the yarns themselves and that I really like working from a base palette and having some yarn references when I am designing. the only way I would really go astray is by buying yarn that I do not love. the stash is currently taking up 2 boxes and that, right now, seems reasonable...

I recently purchased some Habu Shosenshi linen paper tape (A-60) in gray that arrived at my doorstep close to my Knitiversary. my mind was already in a nostalgic state, thinking about the early days of knitting and the time before I began to knit. my brain wandered off, staring at the new item for my knitting stash. I was reminded of the Arch in St. Louis, the ribbon like lines from certain angles, the weightlessness... the discovery of SKIF International while in St. Louis, the design process, Eero Saarinen's amazing designs and how I could not wait to design a sweater to utilize this new Habu acquisition.

I am still thoroughly enamored and inspired by SKIF and coincidentally, their acronym: Sweaters Knit In Freedom is not far off from my core reason for knitting in the first place. mmm, sweaters.

my 2009/10 FO list is rather short:
(thankfully, that means less UFOs!)

1. BabyMod, a blanket for my godchild, Zoey.
2. Lil' Noro, a scarf for my sockdog, Retro.
3. Eins Drei, a beanie style hat for Janet.
4. Cafe au Lait, a scarf, that I still have not blocked and photographed properly.

1. BabyMod Blanket 2 2. Lil' Noro

3. Eins Drei 4. café au lait scarf

2009/10 UFOs:
1. Noro Bellagio, a SKIF sweater for me.

I am excited about my next KnitYear (March 21 to March 20) and all the challenges and knitting that I will take on in that time. here are a few of my goals, techniques and other things I would like to accomplish for this 2010/11 KnitYear:

1. finish 2 sweaters, plus my Bellagio. so, let's say 3 completed sweaters.
2. do more designing. sketching, charting, studying patterns, etc.
3. learn and use short rows for shaping.
4. learn and use Zimmerman's sewn bind off.
5. utilize a few pattern stitches that go beyond ribbing, seed, garter and stockinette.
6. learn how to double knit.
7. to meet more knitters and find more knitting opportunities to knit in company.
8. attend a fiber festival.

on my second Knitiversary, this list will be revisited and we will see how I did. if this list gets accomplished, I will have had a glorious sophomore year of knitting! I hope you will join me on my continuing journey as ganzfeld knits.

No comments:

Post a Comment