04 March 2010

back ordered (a survey)

I found this survey on another knitting blog (can't remember which one) as I was surfing around and thought it might be fun to answer some (mostly) knitting related questions. I was slated to talk about fibers I recently ordered, but almost everything I tried to order is back ordered... and since I like to have visuals along with my commentary, you are getting this amazingly interesting and revealing expose instead. did I sell it?


1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I haven't worked with enough different kinds of yarn to determine a good list of what I love to work with, but I can tell you that there are _so_ many fantastic yarns I have seen and/or touched. I am itching to knit with more of those yarns. I do kinda hate acrylic, though.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? for most of the straights, a big glass vase. for the others, A paper bag in my hamper. that sounds *real* organized, doesn't it?

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for just under a year. my first teacher was Janet. I don't know what an outside observer would say, but I consider myself a novice knitter, beginner plus. I also understand way more in theory than I do in execution.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I do, and it probably needs a bit of a culling and re-vamp.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) wet and woody smells with citrus notes, green clay.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Not really. I'm more of the savory kind. I do love candied ginger, if that counts. what about dark chocolate?

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I don't spin. I used to make jewelry with metalwork, beading, laser cut, and I guess I still do from time to time. I probably will work some fiber-y stuff in there eventually. I design things, mostly. actual execution is what some of this knitting thing is about for me.

8. What kind of music do you like? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Techno, Electro, Soul, Ambient, Electro-pop, Tech-House, House, Italo-Disco, 80's, New Wave, Post Punk, Funk, Indie, Disco, Vocal Jazz and Hip-Hop.

Music I don't like? overly commercialized Pop, Rock or Country, New Age, Pot-Rock, Heavy Rock/Metal, Soft Jazz, most Adult Contemporary, Music played on the WB.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? old calculator lcd screens, chromatic and non-chromatic grays, various tints and shades of desaturated greens and violets, rich browns (coffee, Guinness, dark chocolate), powder blue, a robust saturated red, light naturals, white.

I don't like: dusty or antique rose, mauve, skin tones in general, teal (on the darker or saturated side) emerald and forest green and some purples. I also have real trouble with that burnt orange from Texas.

aren't you glad you asked?

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with Janet and our sock-dog, Retro. and some plants: Carl, Castro, Chery (that's "chur-ree"), Hiro and Saki.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? scarves and hats, yes. mittens and ponchos, no.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I want to knit sweaters... mostly just awesome sweaters.

13. What are you knitting right now? a Skif Bellagio in stranded Noro Kureyon Sock. that's it for now. one project on the needles. that will change soon, though.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I prefer the term "handcrafted". and then, yes, probably.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? right now I am totally digging Chiagoo bamboo circs.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes! swift was obtained via a Halloween door-prize and winder was from an estate liquidation. inexpensively obtained, both are worth their weight in gold.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? It is the item I am working on now. technically, it is about 8 months old.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Resurrection Sunday.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
I sort-of collect 1" buttons. If you can find me NFL logo'd ones, you are officially awesome. officially, like I will get you documentation of your awesomeness.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I think Janet and I would both love a tidy little Zimmerman book collection. I have a hankering to knit something in super-bulky, in the likes of Twinkle Soft Chunky (gorgeous colors, btw), but I want to double-strand it. yeah, that's what I mean when I say *SUPER* bulky. any pattern that Skif or Habu puts out that is unisex or for men, I am all about.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? plenty, but let's start with EZ's "sewn bind off".

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Not a sock knitter (yet?) 7 and a half. not socks, but I could use some felted slippers... anyone?

23. When is your birthday? (month and day) October 7, 12:13pm. I share a birthday with some real "winners". most notably Heinrich Himmler and Vladimir Putin.

No comments:

Post a Comment